
After a desperate piece of keeping up with the Moggieboys, I recently splashed out on one of the reportedly few Neu! vinyl box sets that reached the shores of the UK. Those early albums still sound utterly amazing, even if buying them again was a total extravagance, beautiful though the package is.
Reading through the lavish booklet about the circumstances of those early sessions, I was set on a train of thought about the producer of that early stuff, Conny Plank and have been seeking out other stuff I have with his name on.
It wasn't long then, before I happened upon the first post John Foxx Ultravox album, "Vienna", and blow me down if it isn't sounding bloody great. Have a listen to this excellent 12" and you'll see what I mean. This single is worth the price of admission for the non album B-Sides alone, the second of which, "Herr X" is a German language version of "Vienna" album highlight, "Mister X".
Does anyone know who the voice is on this version? Could it actually be Herr Plank?
EDIT: Consensus from Team CiS seems to be that it's Warren Cann on "Herr X'. You guys rock!
Meanwhile, I'm revisiting the other Midge Ure period Ultravox stuff, which I'm rather enjoying. Maybe more nuggets will appear here over the coming weeks.
Vinyl rip at 320 Kbps.
Link Expired.
Friday, May 21, 2010
Ultravox - Vienna 12"
Popular Posts
-
There's a great interview with The Futureheads here at Dirty Laundry. They seem to be doing good stuff over there, so have a look. Th...
-
From 1991, this 4-track 12" EP, catalogue number WAP 17LTD was pressed in a limited edition of 2000 clear vinyl copies. Mine is No 1346...
-
"Drugs Will Keep Us Together" is a guaranteed killer, with Philadelphia's Pink Skull offering up this funky off-kilter tech-ho...
-
'Futuristic Abeba' is Afrobeat infected house and electronics, combining strains of raw Fela Kuti style funk with spaceways electron...
-
Discodeine are a parisian duo comprised of Pilooski (Dirty Sound system) and Pentile. "Synchronize" is a perfect disco-pop song fe...
-
This 1984 album is interesting, and sounds very current due to the recent Minimal Wave/Dark Wave boom that's been going on round these p...
-
A lovely discofied label compilation dating from 2007 from Castles In Space favourites Smalltown Supersound. All of the usual suspects appe...
-
Drew will be furious, but here are the Nellee Hooper remixes of "Unfinished Sympathy" for those that want 'em. I think as an...
-
This appears to have sold out, so I'll hang it up here for a few days as a mark of respect for the recently departed Conrad Schnitzler. ...
-
Bonjour! I've just got back from La Belle France, hence the lack of blog action. Updates coming as soon as unpacking has been complete...

0 comments:
Post a Comment