Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Bathers - Fancy Dress Promo 12"



The story of how I came to love this record is a strange one. I was crate digging in a local junk shop (Harry Vincent's on Rawlinson Street) circa 1985 and came across this promo on The Housemartins'/The La's label, "Go! Discs". To find a promo in this far flung corner of the British Isles at all was weird, to find one that was modern and had a connection to a couple of bands that I really loved was even more strange. I duly paid my pound and took it home. I was in for a wonderful surprise.

This is a beautiful, perfect, soulful pop song. I played this to death at the time and based upon the majesty of this track, I was one of the couple of hundred of people who bought their first album. Alas, to my ears the album was a patchy affair and indeed the flipside songs on this 12" only confirm that the band were inconsistent. Not terrible, but not great. I seem to remember there was a long track at the end of side one which was similarly awesome, but I just didn't feel the emotional attachment that I felt to this song. I tried, people, I really did, but I just couldn't fall in love with it. I'd love to hear a copy of it now if anyone could point me in the right direction, though.

But my friends, this song here, this song here, well I played it a few times on the morning of my wedding. It seemed appropriate. She looked beautiful. She did indeed have a fancy dress. Deep emotional attachment for me here. I hope you like it.

I'm sure you will, there is much to love. Chris Thomson's vocal for one thing. The strange arrangement and the perfect way in which the tune and melody slowly reveal themselves. The shrill and awkward keyboard parts. Thomas's "Huurr" after the line "You'll keep her captive in the bower". The double stalling chord at the very denouement. This is clever stuff. Didn't we fall over at your fancy dress? I ripped this last night and played it on the iPod on the way to work this morning.

I cried.
On public transport.
I'm not ashamed of that.

Brief Wikipedia entry here.

Vinyl rip at 320 kbps.


Link Expired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts