Monday, January 17, 2011

Spectrals - Extended Play



I'm flabbergasted and uncomprehending how this brilliant mini-album didn't set more people on fire towards the end of last year. I thought this was a dead cert for the multitude of best of year lists, but as far as I can tell, it's remained resolutely under the radar. I can't believe that this situation will perpetuate once this young man from Leeds releases his first album proper.

From the Rough Trade website:

Spectrals releases his debut EP through Moshi Moshi records entitled 'A Spectrals Extended Play'. The EP is a collection of 7 new and previously unreleased songs. Spectrals is a young man named Louis from Leeds with a fondness for Phil Spector and doo-wop. All of this is siphoned through his unique approach to indie fuzz-pop. The results are ambitious, warm, nostalgic and dreamy.
This is such a beautiful record, collected from the extremely limited vinyl 7" singles which Louis Jones has released to date. It might just be me, but it seems that by reaching into the past, he's managed to come up with something startlingly fresh and new. It feels like there's nobody else doing this stuff right now. And he does it so well. My wife and kids love this record, so he's definitely on to something.

I'm hanging out for a full album proper, which will hopefully appear this year. Although it should be noted that my record of predicting success is fucking abysmal but c'mon; this is great. And the guy is about 18 or something. It's just not fair.

This is still available from Rough Trade, as are the original singles, so I'm only keeping this up on here for a few days. Don't sleep.

320 Kbps.

Link Expired

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts