Friday, February 4, 2011

We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use It - Love Is The Slug 12"



The trajectory which propelled indie microstars We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use It in 1985 to WEA international achievers in the late Eighties to glam popstrels who disbanded in 1990 is a cautionary tale, but yet contains all the ingredients which contribute to everything I love about pop music. Indie no-hopers to bona fide chart stars with major label support and mainstream pop success, on to the whole music biz control cliché and the subsequent musical differences. All within the space of two albums! How brilliant is that?

I've got a soft spot for Fuzzbox, and am in awe of their heroic lady balls for having the courage, nouse and ambition to get up on a stage when they reportedly really couldn't play their instruments. At all. I think I saw them on TV once. One of them was sawing away at a violin making a horrible noise. I was captivated. Anyway, they were fucking right, weren't they. They were the future. Capability didn't matter then and it matters much less now. Despite that, or maybe because of it, some of their records really, really stand up.

I'm going to post a few of these excellent records, but let's kick things off with this one, "Love Is The Slug", here featured in the 12" "Bargainous Longerer Mix", which equates to some more inept drumming at the start, basically. Brilliant. This also features their infamous cover of "Spirit In The Sky" which is good. And when I say "good", I mean "bad". And yet, when I say "bad", I mean "good". It's one of those.

They were from Birmingham.
Not the one in Alabama.
You can't see the stars from the A38 Aston Expressway.



Wikipedia Entry

Vinyl rip at 320 Kbps.

Link Expired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts