Friday, May 21, 2010

Ultravox - Vienna 12"



After a desperate piece of keeping up with the Moggieboys, I recently splashed out on one of the reportedly few Neu! vinyl box sets that reached the shores of the UK. Those early albums still sound utterly amazing, even if buying them again was a total extravagance, beautiful though the package is.

Reading through the lavish booklet about the circumstances of those early sessions, I was set on a train of thought about the producer of that early stuff, Conny Plank and have been seeking out other stuff I have with his name on.

It wasn't long then, before I happened upon the first post John Foxx Ultravox album, "Vienna", and blow me down if it isn't sounding bloody great. Have a listen to this excellent 12" and you'll see what I mean. This single is worth the price of admission for the non album B-Sides alone, the second of which, "Herr X" is a German language version of "Vienna" album highlight, "Mister X".

Does anyone know who the voice is on this version? Could it actually be Herr Plank?

EDIT: Consensus from Team CiS seems to be that it's Warren Cann on "Herr X'. You guys rock!

Meanwhile, I'm revisiting the other Midge Ure period Ultravox stuff, which I'm rather enjoying. Maybe more nuggets will appear here over the coming weeks.

Vinyl rip at 320 Kbps.

Link Expired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts